Sunday, April 15, 2012

Denver Zoo

With such fantastic weather, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to visit the Denver Zoo.  Andrew loves his animals!


Watching a zebra munching away.



This peacock scared the daylights out of Andrew.  You could hear them "calling" all over the zoo to mate. It was so loud that any time Andrew heard it, he would run over to me and make me pick him up.  He sure is pretty though.  :)


Andrew's animal - the tiger!



Those peacocks are everywhere!



This was so awesome!  We just so happened to run across the zookeepers doing a little dental work on their 55 year old hippopotamus named Bert.  He told us that they needed to saw off (yes, saw off!) about two inches of his teeth because in captivity they don't tend to wear down like they do in the wild.  So, we all watched with fascination as he coaxed Bert to open his mouth while he placed a large saw in the hippo's mouth.  Dustin and I were amazed that Bert was okay with this because hippo's are notoriously aggressive animals.  It's times like these that I had almost wished I went into Zoology instead of Museum Education - although while interning at a zoo, I realize that zoos are much dirtier than museums.  :)




I'm going to tell you now, that I am a sucker for those cheesy activities that you do at the zoo.  Yes, I wanted to know how far I could jump and compare myself to that animal.  I did not have that much confidence to start out with and was convinced that I would only jump as far as a spider....



5 feet!  The penguin is my equal!


Andrew loved the primate house.  Here he is getting friendly with a chimpanzee.


He had so much energy that he wanted to push his own stroller.  At least I know I'm in good hands if I ever find myself in a wheelchair.  :)  Then again, Andrew didn't know how to steer.




Family picture - we don't get too many of those.



Daddy showing Andrew the Black Bears!


Goodbye!


No comments:

Post a Comment